Half Day Lemon Dilemma Workshop
Learn how to make a lemon Meringue tart, Citron curd tart and a lemon drizzle cake.
Starting with our best selling lemon drizzle cake you will make our traditional batter and add fine lemon zest, lemon glaze, lemon filling and finally fresh lemon strips.
Using lemons to make a hot lemon curd you will make individual lemon tarts topped with a glossy French meringue.
Finally we will use lemon juice to make a cold lemon curd that we will bake to produce a zingy smooth creamy lemon tart.
Saturday 30th October 2021
Morning Session: 9.15am until 12.45pm
Afternoon Session: 1.30pm until 5.00pm
Drinks, course notes, all ingredients and finished work.
Our Schools & Tutors
Slattery School of excellence is located on the 2nd floor of our imposing Victorian building. We have all the equipment and facilities to provide you with the perfect learning experience. While attending a course at Slattery we allow full access to our own production facilities, which allows you to see the practical applications of the skills you are learning and benefit from talking to our friendly expert staff. Our experienced tutors deliver our courses in a friendly and encouraging manner and have a wealth of knowledge and expertise.
Victoria Sharp is a new member of our Slattery team, and is our chocolate and baking course tutor. Victoria is a very experienced tutor, having worked in the catering industry for 27 years. Victoria worked as a pastry chef for various hotels in Manchester, ran her own cake design company in Cheshire and most recently for the last 5 years she worked for Bury College as the catering lecturer. Victoria has a vast amount of knowledge and shares her skills in such a way that you can't help but be as enthusiastic about baking and chocolate as she is.
How to book your place
Please call 0161 767 7766 to check availability on your selected course and to reserve your place. We require a non-refundable deposit of £25 per person, per course to secure a booking. If the course is a 5 day course a £100 deposit is required. Preferably this is to be paid by credit or debit card over the phone at the time of booking. If the course fee is £30 or less, the whole amount is to be paid on booking. Once we have received your deposit, we will send you a letter confirming your booking and detailing all the information you need to know about your chosen course. The balance of the course is payable at least 2 weeks prior to the course commencement date. We will not send you a reminder for the final balance (the date will be shown on the course information letter though). Courses will run subject to a minimum number of participants. We therefore may, with notice, cancel any courses if the minimum numbers are not met. If this is the case, we will refund your deposit or transfer it onto another course for you.
We are located approximately 1/2 mile from Junction 17 of the M60. From the motorway roundabout, follow signs for Whitefield and Bury onto a short dual carriageway. Go through two sets of traffic lights. After the third major set of traffic lights, we are the first building on the left, with our car park adjacent.
From Manchester Airport
The best way to get to the School from the airport is via taxi. You can take a black cab from outside or contact one of the following local taxi firms before you fly to arrange for them to collect you:
Blueline: 0161 773 4444
From Manchester Piccadilly Train Station
You can either get a taxi from outside the station or get the Metrolink from the station to Whitefield (Bury line).
From the Metrolink station at Whitefield
The School is located very close to Whitefield Metrolink station. If you are coming via the Metrolink then you should get off at Whitefield. Turn left on to Bury New Road and walk approx 200 metres and you will see the school on the right.
Bus Routes that run between Bury and Manchester City Centre that drop you off out side our building are the 98 and the 135. Please look on the 'Transport for Greater Manchester' website for bus timetables.
What levels are the courses suitable for? Will I need prior knowledge or experience?
• All our courses are suitable for beginners, unless otherwise stated but please ask us if you have any queries.
What is included in my course fee?
• Demonstrations – Demonstration and food if stated in course description.
• Half Day Course – Course and all products made to take home.
• Full Day Course – Course, course notes, lunch and all products made to take home.
• Five Day Course – Course, course notes, breakfast, lunch and all products made to take home.
What do I need to bring with me?
• You only have to bring with you an apron, if you don't have an apron we have disposable ones here that you can use. We also ask that you wear flat, closed toe shoes, as you will be working in a working environment.
How far in advance to I need to book?
• Our courses are run on an availability only basis, so the earlier you can book the better to avoid any disappointment.
What if I cancel my course booking?
• If you cancel within 14 days, you will receive a full refund less a cancellation fee of £25.00. Alternatively we can transfer the deposit onto the next available date.
• If you cancel between 7-14 days. 50% refund less a cancellation fee of £25.00. If we are able to fill the place, 100% refund less a cancellation fee of £25.00. Alternatively we can transfer the monies onto the next available course date.
• If you give us less than 6 days' notice, no refund will be given unless we are able to fill the place, in which case you will receive 100% refund less a cancellation fee of £25.00.
• All refunds will be given in the way the original balance was paid, e.g. card, cash and gift voucher.
Do you run evening courses?
• No, we do not offer evening courses; our school only operates 9am until 5.30pm Monday to Friday and 9am-5pm Saturdays. Sundays we are closed.
Do you offer any recognised qualifications?
• The only course we offer which is a recognised qualification is the PME sugar courses. All our other courses are Slattery own, we give our own certificate on the completion of each course. Our name is well known and respected within the bakery and confectionary world, we are known for high quality and our reputation precedes us.
Here are the details of the hotels that are located close to Slattery. If you find the hotel you want has no availability, please contact us as there are other hotels located a little further away from us, which we can provide you with details of.
Bury New Road, Prestwich, Manchester
TEL: 0161 798 0827
This hotel is located just off the motorway (M60, Junction 17) and is the closest hotel to Slattery. There is a TGI Fridays restaurant next door to the hotel, it is also close to the centre of Prestwich, which has several restaurants and pubs.
The Church Inn
40 Church Lane, Prestwich, Manchester
TEL: 0161 798 6727
This is a small, family run pub/hotel. It has a restaurant and also serves bar food. It is located just over a mile away from Slattery.
Heatons Guest House
58 Tamworth Avenue,
Whitefield, Manchester, M45 6UA
TEL: 0161 773 4490
A friendly guesthouse with 1 double and 1 single room in a quiet leafy residential area. Slattery is located approx. 10 – 15 mins walk away. Close to a Metrolink tram station.
Fairways Lodge & Leisure Club
George Street, Prestwich, Manchester
TEL: 0161 798 8905
This hotel is located approx. 2 miles from Slattery. It has a bar that serves food and a restaurant. There is also a gym and fitness centre for residents to use.
The Village Hotel,
Bury Waterfold Business Park, Rochdale Road, Bury TEL: 0161 764 4444
For those looking for a little bit extra during their stay, this hotel has excellent leisure and fitness facilities including a large pool, sauna and steam room. It is situated approx. 4 miles away from Slattery. It has a pub that serves food and 2 restaurants.
We are located approx. 8 miles away from the city centre of Manchester, so alternatively to make the most of your trip; you may prefer to stay in the city centre. The tram network that serves Manchester has a station that is a 5-minute walk away, so travelling from the city centre is not a problem. The website www.manchesteronline.co.uk has good links to hotels in the city.
197 Bury New Road,
T:0161 767 9303
Got a question about this course?